Our philatelic department was founded on January 1, 1986. Since then a wide, beautiful, coloured and assorted collection of stamps were issued. These stamps show a touch of what the island is and offers.
Before 1986, Aruba was part of the Netherlands Antilles Postal Service and the head office was located at Willemstad, Curaçao. The Postal Service of Aruba entered Aruba’s Status Aparte on January 1, 1986 as an independent postal service. To face the Status Aparte as an autonomous service, Aruba had to introduce its own stamps.
The first two series that were emitted on the 1st of January 1986 were a definite issue consisting of four stamps with denominations of 5c, 30c, 60c and 150c designed by Mr. Evelino Fingal and a Status Aparte issue consisting of four stamps with denominations of 25c, 45c, 55c and 100c, designed by Mr. Nigel Matthew.
By collecting the Aruban stamps you can enjoy…
- • The aesthetic pleasure that includes culture and amusement
- • The satisfaction experienced by collecting
- • The challenge to initiate a collection
- • The conviction that the final value of the collection will be at least equivalent to the investment, and in the most of the cases, even bigger
- • The ties between the philatelic issues and the centres of interest of the individual (nature, culture, architecture, history, important figures, etc.)